Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Don Quixote


As I was reading Don Quixote one of the things I think is so funny about it is how every one seems to humor him by going along with all of his crazy quests. Like the part when Sancho leaves Don in the woods to give a letter to his love and meets with the barber and the priest and they dress up like women to convince him to come home. Then they meet up with a few others who also help pretend to be who their not so they can help Don Quixote. I just think how silly it is that they think that by going along with his fantasy they are helping him. I do understand that Don Quixote is completely insane some times and I would also humor him because I know that he would try and kill me if I told him he wasn't a real knight.
And also another thing. Even though Sancho knows that the people are pretending and he knows they are openly lying to Don Quixote he still falls for everything they say. He was right there when the barber and the Priest decide to dress up to fool Don Quixote but he still believes them when they lie to Don Quixote. I feel so bad for Sancho, he thinks that he is going to get all this land from Quixote and doesn't doubt him the entire book.

I think my favorite line in the book is when Sancho is worried there wont be any islands left, so Don Quixote turns to him and says something like, well if there are no more islands left then there is always Denmark. Like he can just give away a country.

I still do have a few more hundred pages left but Don Quixote is always surprising me and inventing some crazy way become the best knight he can be. I wish that I could be as determined as Don Quixote is about something that I really do have to be good at.

No comments: